This recipe is quite simple with the avocados shining through; the stars. It includes, in addition to slices, wedges or chunks of avocado, white balsamic vinegar, water, a bit of salt, honey, garlic, rosemary and thin slivers of lemon. They are great for hors d’oeuvres, in sandwiches, salads and just for snacking right out of the jar. Because of the pickling process, these Pickled California Avocados w/ Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary don’t turn brown if they are exposed to the air, making them perfect for a delicious and appealing party appetizer.
Author: Chris Scheuer, Cafe Sucre Farine Recipe |Provided By the California Avocado Commission
Chris Scheuer – Pickling and Preserving Avocados
Chris Scheuer – Pickling and Preserving Avocados taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
- ½ cup White balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup Water
- ½ Tbsp. Kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Honey
- 1 ½ tsp. Peppercorns
- 1 ½ tsp. Dried crushed red pepper
- 4 Cloves garlic, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 Firm ripe, Fresh California Avocado, (quite firm, squeeze the avocado gently in the palm of your hand; you want only the slightest bit of "give")
- 1 (2-inch) Sprig rosemary
- 1 Very thin slice fresh lemon, halved
- Combine the vinegar, water, salt and honey in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve salt.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Place peppercorns, crushed red pepper and garlic in a pint-size jar.
- Cut avocado in half, lengthwise. Remove seed and peel, keeping halves intact. Cut into ½-inch wide slices, widthwise. Place avocado slices into prepared jar and cover with cooled brine. Tuck rosemary sprig and lemon slice into jar. Cover jar tightly and refrigerate for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, remove avocados from brine and enjoy.
- Serving Suggestion: Add pickled avocados to sandwiches and salads or enjoy all by themselves. They’re delicious with hummus on warm pita bread drizzled with a bit of good olive oil.
- *Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.