The restaurant industry encourages diversity and is a place where women advance to management and leadership roles in large numbers. In their letter to policymakers, individuals across the industry and beyond highlight the important ways restaurants are working for women. Letter highlights include the following:
- 61% of women have worked in the restaurant industry.
- 37% of women say the first job they ever held was in a restaurant, providing a first start and career advancement for millions of people.
- 45% of restaurant managers are women compared to an average of 38% in other industries.
- More than half of U.S. restaurants are owned or co-owned by women.
- Women-owned businesses are growing at a faster rate than the overall restaurant industry.
- 92% of women who have worked in a restaurant say the industry is a good place to get a first job and learn valuable skills.