Grilled Fontina & Blackberry Basil Smash Sandwiches
A grilled cheese is upgraded with fontina and fresh blackberries on hearty multigrain.
1 loaf Sadie Rose Multigrain – cut into 8 thick slices12 oz Fresh blackberries12-15 Fresh basil leaves – chopped6-8 oz Fontina cheese – sliced2 T Olive oil
- In a large bowl, mash blackberries with a fork (be careful they will splatter!) and stir in chopped basil.
- Heat an electric griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Lay a piece of cheese on each slice of bread, then top with a few spoonfuls of smashed blackberries.
- Gently pick up 3 slices, brush some olive oil on the bottom, and place them on the griddle or skillet.
- Place the remaining slices on top, brushing them with olive oil too. I like to cook these over lower and slowly so the bread gets perfectly golden and the cheese melts, so let each side cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- Remove and dig in!