In Italy, the preparation and enjoyment of fresh and flavorful meals consumes a generous part of the day. How do they find the time? Italians eat only two meals a day, typically skipping breakfast in favor of a nice cup of cappuccino. If you’ve ever spent time dining in Italy, you will know that Italians do not rush through those two meals. Rather, they slowly savor each course over a bottle or two of wine and good conversation. The pacing of a meal is purposefully leisurely, so that one can fully enjoy and digest the wonderful food.
Our Chicken Scalloppine recipe features the flavors of artichoke hearts, mushrooms, red onion, capers and lemon, which meld beautifully with the sauteed chicken breasts. Pair this dish with a beautiful Brunello di’ Montelcino. The persistent bouquet of this ruby-red wine nicely complements the flavors of the creamy, tangy sauce.
Enjoy the delicious Chicken Scalloppine Italian recipe.
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 1 ounce white wine
- 2 ounces heavy cream
- 1/4 lb butter (1 stick)
- 3 chicken breasts (3-ounces each)
- oil, for sautéing chicken
- butter, for sautéing chicken
- 1 ½ cups flour, seasoned with salt and pepper, for dredging
- 3 ounces bacon, cooked
- 6 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 6 ounces artichoke hearts, sliced
- ¼ cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon capers
- 1/2 lb cappellini pasta, cooked
- chopped parsley, for garnish
- Sautéing the chicken over high heat in a large skillet allows it to retain moisture. A heavy 12-inch skillet or 10-inch sauté pan will do. Chicken breasts cooked without crowding in a skillet will render their own fat, forming a crusty surface that traps the juices inside.
- Heat the lemon juice and white wine in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and reduce by one-third. Add cream and simmer until mixture thickens (3 to 4 minutes). Slowly add butter until completely incorporated. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Heat a small amount of oil and two tablespoons butter in a large skillet. Dredge chicken in flour and sauté in pan, turning once, until brown and cooked through. Remove chicken from pan. Add remaining ingredients to pan. Heat until mushrooms soften and are cooked. Add chicken back to pan.
- Place cooked pasta on each plate. Add half of butter sauce to chicken mixture and toss. Taste and adjust. Add more sauce if needed. Place chicken mixture over pasta. Add a little more sauce to each. Garnish with parsley.