Spicy Tofu Taco
Spicy Tofu Tacos are a great and flavorful taco for those looking for a vegetarian option in their meal.
2 Packages Extra-firm AFC Soy Foods tofu – cubed 5/8” – drained overnight
1 C Sambal paste
1 Cilantro – chopped
2 t Salt
2 T Oil
6” Corn tortilla – dorado
Tofu – AFC Soy Foods
Oil – as needed
1/4 C Cabbage Slaw
2 Avocado slices – salted
4 Fried plantain slices
4 Pickled jalapeno slices
Cilantro – chopped
1 Jalapeno ‘flower’ – beer-battered, deep-fried
- Pat tofu cubes dry, and toss with sambal, chopped cilantro, salt and oil.
- Lightly oil the tortillas on both sides and cook on a comal until toasted, chewy and crisp around the edges, with golden spots.
- While the tortillas are toasting, heat a heavy pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 T oil to the pan and sear the cubes in one layer until browned, turning as little as possible.
- Pile the tofu on top of the tortillas and top with the cabbage slaw, avocado slices, shredded lettuce, plantain chips and pickled jalapenos, as shown.
- Sprinkle generously with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with a beer-battered jalapeno flower on the side.