Chia Seed Vinaigrette
Chia Seed Vinaigrette. The combination of bright dressing and good-for-you-greens with fresh and dry fruit, salty cotija cheese and crunchy nuts is irresistible.
1 C Chia seed – soaked
2 C Water
1 1/2 T Sugar
2 T Sea salt – or to taste
1/2 t Black pepper
1 C Lime juice – fresh-squeezed
1/2 C Pomegranate juice
1 C Red wine vinegar
1/2 C Orange juice – with pulp
1 1/4 C Lemon juice – fresh-squeezed
1 Hass avocado – large
1 Shallot – large, diced
2 Cloves Garlic
1/2 C Extra-virgin olive oil
4 Basil sprig – large, minced
- Soak 1/2 cup of chia seeds in water overnight until soft.
- Drain any excess water before use.
- Place all ingredients besides chia seeds and basil into blender or Vita-Prep. Stir in basil and soaked chia seeds.
- Correct seasoning. Shake well before use.
- Chefs Note: Most of SOL’s dressings are very low in fat, and vegan, since I prefer to thicken with avocado instead of using eggs. Fresh-squeezed citrus juice makes all the difference in the bright flavor of this recipe, while chia seeds add great nutritional value. Note that chia seeds should always be soaked before use.