Southern California BBQ Pulled Pork Sandwiches
A California-inspired pulled pork sandwich recipe features slow cooked pork and a flavorful bun
2½ lbs Pork shoulder, boneless
1 ea Orange, medium
1 ea Onion, medium, rough chopped
6 ea Garlic cloves, peeled
2 ea Chipotle, in adobo
1 tsp Coriander seed
1 tsp Cumin seed
1 tsp Peppercorn, black
2 Cups VIVA® Lard (more as necessary to submerge ingredients)
1½ Cups Southern California (El Pato) BBQ Sauce (see separate recipe)
- Cut pork shoulder into 2-3 inch pieces. Cut orange in half and cut halves into quarters, peel and all.
- Place all ingredients into the bowl of a 6-qt slow cooker.
- Turn slow cooker on high.
- When lard has melted, ensure that all ingredients are submerged in the fat.
- Add additional lard as necessary.
- Cover and cook until pork is tender, approximately 5 hours.
- With tongs, remove the pork to a cutting board and allow to cool. Being careful of the hot fat, strain the lard and reserve for future use.
- Discard orange, vegetables and spices.
- Shred the pork finely.
- In a medium mixing bowl thoroughly combine shredded pork with BBQ sauce.