A mayonaise flavored with dijon, lemon juice and olive oil and full of umami
¾ Cup VIVA lard, melted but cool
¾ Cup Olive oil, light (in this application the less flavor the better)
2 ea Egg yolks
1 Tbsp Mustard, Dijon
1 Tbsp Lemon, juice
To taste Salt, kosher
Water, as necessary to correct consistency
- Combine lard and olive oil in measuring Cup with spout.
- Whisk to combine.
- Add egg yolks, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, and a generous pinch of salt to bowl of food processor. Run processor for 5 seconds to combine. Scrape down sides of processor bowl with rubber spatula and process for an additional 5 seconds.
- Scrape down sides of processor bowl again.
- Ensure that the melted lard/olive oil mixture is no more than lukewarm, otherwise you will cook the egg yolks.
- With processor running, slowly drizzle lard mixture into bowl in a very thin, slow and steady stream until an emulsion is formed.
- Once an emulsion has formed, you can pour in the fat more quickly, stopping and scraping down sides of the processor bowl as necessary.
- Add additional salt to taste and adjust consistency with water until thick, smooth, and creamy, but not waxy.
- Store in refrigerator in airtight container for up to two weeks.
- ***Caution: Products made with raw eggs are a potential health hazard. Pasteurized eggs may be used in this recipe.