Octopus with Chorizo Avocado Relish & Piquillo Purée
Octopus with Chorizo Avocado Relish & Piquillo Purée is a seasonal dish by Chef John Tesar.
11 Piquillo pepper – medium, drained
1 T Rice wine vinegar – seasoned
1/4 C Extra virgin olive oil
1/8 t Kosher salt
1/8 t White pepper – freshly ground
1 t Xanthan gum
1 Hass avocado – pitted, peeled, and diced
2 Piquillo pepper – drained, patted dry and diced
4 Black Garlic clove – peeled and diced
1/4 t Kosher salt
1/4 t Black pepper – freshly ground
2 T Extra virgin olive oil
2 t Lemon juice – fresh
4 Basil leaf – sliced into thin ribbons
8 oz Spanish chorizo – skin removed
2 t Extra virgin olive oil
8 Octopus tentacle – chilled
1 T Extra virgin olive oil
Black pepper – freshly ground, to taste
Kosher salt – to taste
25- 30 Celery heart leaf – for garnish
Maldon sea salt – for garnish
Extra virgin olive oil – for garnish
- Piquillo Purée
- Place the peppers in the jar of a blender.
- Add the extra virgin olive oil, salt, and white pepper and put the lid on the blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add the xanthan gum, replace the lid, and turn the blender on low, gradually increasing speed to high, until the mixture is emulsified.
- Set aside.
- Avocado Relish
- In a nonreactive bowl, combine the avocado, piquillo peppers and garlic.
- Stir to combine and set aside.
- Cut the sausage lengthwise down the middle.
- Cut the sausage into thin strips.
- Add the olive oil to a skillet over low heat.
- Add the chorizo and heat until the chorizo is warmed through and the sausage and oil turn orange.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet over high heat.
- Season the octopus with salt and pepper.
- Add the olive oil and when it is hot, add the octopus and cook for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes on each side.
- Lift each tentacle once to make sure its coated in oil, and then don’t disturb them again until it’s time to flip them.
- You want a nice char on the exterior.
- To Serve
- On each serving plate, spread a tablespoon of the piquillo purée.
- Arrange two tentacles per serving atop the purée, and scatter 3-4 strips of chorizo around the tentacles.
- Make 3 heaping 1-teaspoon piles of avocado relish on each plate.
- Garnish the relish and tentacles with celery leaves, a sprinkle of maldon sea salt, and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Serve and enjoy.