Maple Glazed Pancetta ‘Pancizza’
Try this oven-baked pancake recipe by Pizza oven innovators Gozney on Pancake day for an indulgent breakfast, lunch or even dinner!
9 1/2 oz Plain Flour
2 t Baking Powder
3 oz Caster Sugar
9 1/2 oz Full Fat Milk
1/2 cap Vanilla Essence
3oz Unsalted Butter – melted
8-10 Rashers Pancetta slice
For the maple butter;
3 T Unsalted Butter
3 T Maple Syrup
- To make the batter sift the flour, baking powder and sugar into a large bowl.
- In a jug, beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla essence and pour over the dry ingredients. Whizz together with a hand blender until smooth.
- With the hand blender still going, gradually add the melted butter until it is all incorporated into the mix.
- You can use the batter straight away but if you can leave it to rest for an hour or two (or even overnight in the fridge!) your pancake will benefit from it.
- Ensure oven is fully saturated with heat and on low heat- you’re aiming for an inbuilt thermometer temp of around 160oC/300f- and grease an 8’ cast iron pan.
- Layer the pancetta over the greased pan and pop into the oven for 10 minutes- you want to just see the meat starting to render and curl up- before adding around 350g/12oz of batter to the pan and immediately returning it to the oven.
- Bake the pancake for around 10 minutes, rotating and turning regularly as the top will begin to color quite quickly. To check the pancake is cooked pierce it with a skewer or small knife and, if it comes out clean, you’re done!
- Loosen the pancake at the sides of the pan with a palette knife before turning out onto a serving board or plate.
- Add the butter and maple syrup to a saucepan and cook on a low heat until bubbling and beginning to caramelize. Pour the maple butter all over the pancake, cut into wedges and serve (or eat the whole thing to yourself- we won’t judge!)
- ***For best results, the recipe is perfect for the Roccbox, the world’s first portable pizza oven that reaches up to 932F, allowing you to serve up restaurant-style dishes every time and any time. To view the Roccbox version of this recipe, click here: https://www.gozney.com/us/kitchen/maple-glazed-pancetta-pancake-pizza-recipe/
- Roccbox includes both wood and gas burners, as well as a commercial-grade pizza peel with each oven. Gozney also offers foodie inspiration with their interactive Kitchen, featuring firm favorite recipes and special guests.