Grilled Lamb Chops with Orange & Olive
Marinating these lamb chops overnight with yogurt and citrus tenderizes the meat and adds bright flavor that complements the smoky char from the grill.
1-1/2 pounds lamb loin chops, 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons plain yogurt, low fat or whole milk
Juice and zest of one orange, divided
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped and divided
1 small red onion, finely chopped
3/4 cup finely chopped green olives
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat leaf parsley
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the grill
- The day before serving, pat the chops dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Lay the chops in a shallow non-reactive pan such as an 8-inch square baking dish.
- Combine the yogurt, half of the orange juice and zest, and half of the garlic in a small bowl.
- Whisk the ingredients together and pour over the chops, turning them once to coat both sides with the marinade.
- Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove the chops from the refrigerator 30 to 45 minutes prior to grilling to allow the meat to come to room temperature.
- Heat a gas or charcoal grill to medium-high, or preheat a grill pan over medium high heat.
- Remove the chops from the marinade and allow most of it to drip off.
- Lightly oil the grill or grill pan, and arrange the chops over the heat.
- Grill 3 minutes, turn each chop 90 degrees, and cook for another 3 minutes or until the chops are nicely charred.
- Flip the chops and cook on the other side for about 6 more minutes, turning halfway through.
- They should still be pink inside.
- Remove the chops from the grill and place on a warm plate to rest while you make the sauce.
- Combine the remaining orange juice and zest, and chopped garlic with the onion, olives, parsley and olive oil in a small bowl.
- Stir well to combine, spoon some sauce over each chop and serve immediately.