Contributed by: Fig & Olive – Newport Beach
Fig & Walnut Julep Cocktail
FIG & OLIVE Newport Beach at Fashion Island isn’t horsing around with their Fig & Walnut Julep cocktail comprised of Bourbon, St. Germain, Port, muddled
2 oz. Four Roses Bourbon
.75 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liquor
.5 oz Lime Juice
.25 oz Taylor Tawney Port
.25 oz Simple Syrup
2 Black Figs (muddled)
3 mint leaves
2 Slices of Fig 1/4 inch thick
1 Mint Sprig
- Cut mint sprig to about 4 to 5 inches long (long enough so it will be able to peak over the edge of the rocks glass).
- You will have to strip the mint off each sprig until you have just 3 to 4 smaller leaves at the top of the mint for garnish.
- The rest of the leaves (3) will be used in the cocktail.
- For the simple syrup, you will need to heat 1 cup of water and bring slightly to boil.
- Add ½ cup sugar and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn off heat and let cool.
- Using a mixing glass (Boston) or a 2 piece shaker, combine Black Mission Figs, Taylor Fine Tawney Port, Simple Syrup, and Fresh Lime Juice and muddle into a nice paste.
- Add 3 Fresh Mint Leaves, Bourbon, and St. Germain Elderflower Liquor.
- Add Ice and use a hard shake vigorously for about 8 – 10 seconds so the ingredients can infuse.
- Strain contents over ice in an Old Fashion Glass or Rocks Glass.
- Cut a Fig in half and make two nice slices about 1/4 inch thick from it and garnish cocktail.
- Grate some Walnut over drink and add a Mint Sprig.