Shrimp Summer Rolls
Genji Sushi shares their recipe for shrimp summer rolls, a popular menu item featuring succulent shrimp and veggies.
1.5 oz dry bean thread noodles (about 1 small bundle, depending on brand)
1.5 oz red cabbage, finely shredded
1 oz carrot, shredded
1 scallion, thinly sliced
8 pieces round rice paper, plus a few extra in case some break
8-10 leaves of green leaf lettuce, about 4 oz, shredded
1.5 oz cucumber, julienned
1.5 oz red bell pepper, cut into 8 long strips
16 pieces cooked shrimp, peeled, deveined, and sliced in half lengthwise
- Place the bean thread noodles in a bowl and pour hot water over them to cover.
- Allow the noodles to sit for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Drain, then rinse with cold water to chill.
- Drain well, cut into approximately 2-3 inch pieces (it is easiest to do this with scissors).
- Combine the noodles, red cabbage, shredded carrot, and sliced scallion in a bowl and toss to combine.
- Fill a pie plate, cake pan, or other shallow dish larger than the diameter of the rice paper with warm water.
- Working with one piece at a time, dip the rice paper in the water until just softened, about 20-30 seconds.
- Let excess water drip off, then place on your work surface.
- Leaving about an inch border on the sides and bottom, cover the bottom half of the rice paper with shredded lettuce.
- Roughly cover the lettuce with some of the noodle and vegetable mixture.
- Fold the side borders of the rice paper in over the filling.
- Take 2 shrimp halves and place them cut side up across the rice paper just above the lettuce and noodles.
- Next, place a strip of bell pepper, and 1/8th of the julienned cucumber across the shrimp, leaving some poking out on one side.
- Bring the bottom of the rice paper up, and roll the whole things tightly into a cylinder, keeping the edges tucked in.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients.
- Cut each summer roll in half and enjoy!