Tangy Tomato & Chili Jam
This barbeque season, put down the bottle of generic tomato ketchup and surprise your guests with something a little more original. Island Grill is a sustainable restaurant in Lancaster, London. This summer, the kitchen team will be making all burgers from scratch in-house, so Head Chef Adam Woolven has started to prepare with his home-made chutneys and jams.
1kg Very Ripe Plum Tomatoes
5 Red Chilli Peppers
8 Garlic Cloves
Ginger (10cm piece)
60ml Fish Sauce
550g Demerara Sugar
200ml Red Wine Vinegar
Pinch of Salt and Pepper
- Step 1: Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add the plum tomatoes to the water and boil for 10-15 seconds. Following this, run the tomatoes under cold water, then peel and quarter them.
- Step 2: Peel the ginger (easiest done with a spoon), then finely chop it, along with the garlic cloves and chilli.
- Step 3: In a large pan, cook the tomatoes, garlic, ginger and chillies on a low heat until the mixture becomes of pulp-like consistency. Pour the fish sauce, red wine vinegar and Demerara sugar into the mix. Stir well. Season with a little salt and pepper.
- Step 4: Don’t wait for the jam to cool – store the jam in a sterilized jar whilst still hot.
- Step 5: Scoop a generous spoonful of jam onto your freshly barbecued burger – and enjoy!