Grenadine of Beef
Grenadine of Beef contributed by Musso & Frank for the West Coast Prime Meats Cooks book to raise funds for Wounded Warrior and Gary Sinise Foundations.
2 lbs Center-cut filet mignon
8 T Unsalted butter
2 Sprigs Fresh thyme
4 oz Grapeseed oil
2 C Béarnaise Sauce (see attached)
1 C Beef gravy
- Cut the filet in four-ounce (quarter-pound) medallions. You should have eight four-ounce portions.
- Lay the medallions on a parchment paper or foil-lined sheet pan and sprinkle with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a large sauté pan over medium heat, then add the butter and oil.
- When the butter stops foaming, add the thyme sprig.
- Working in two batches, sauté four medallions on one side until nice and brown. Turn over and sauté on the other side, until meat is rare (about four minutes).
- Remove the meat, place on a clean sheet pan and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Sauté the remaining four medallions as in step five, then place on the sheet pan with the first four medallions and hold warm.
- Ladle two ounces of hot beef gravy on each of four dinner plates. For each serving, place two medallions on top of the gravy. Spoon the béarnaise sauce on top of the meat.
- We recommend serving the beef with steamed broccoli and mashed potatoes.