Contributed by: Chef J.P. Amateau
Musso & Frank contributed this recipe to the fundraising book West Coast Prime Meats Cooks
2 C Water
4 Egg yolks
2 T Lemon juice
1/2 C Unsalted butter – melted
1/8 t Salt
1 Pinch Cayenne pepper
1 Pinch White pepper
1 T Cold water
- Place the two cups of water in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer over low flame.
- Find a stainless steel bowl that will nest inside the sauce pan without the water touching the bottom.
- Away from the heat, in the stainless steel bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and water, until the mixture is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Place the bowl over the saucepan.
- Continue to whisk rapidly. Be careful not to let the eggs get too hot or they will scramble.
- Slowly drizzle in the melted butter and continue to whisk until the sauce is thickened and doubled in volume.
- Remove from heat, whisk in cayenne and salt.
- If the mixture starts to separate, whisk in the cold water.
- Hold warm until ready to use. A clean hot-beverage thermos works well to hold this sauce.