Dovetail Brewery (1800 W. Belle Plaine, Chicago; 773-683-1414) and Begyle Brewing Company (1800 W. Cuyler, 1E, Chicago; 773-661-6963) have much to celebrate this month. These two neighborhood craft breweries will be coming together to host Oktoberfestiversary, a neighborhood block party celebrating Begyle’s fourth anniversary and Dovetail’s first Oktoberfest. The event takes place Saturday, October 15 beginning at noon and concluding at 9pm featuring live music, a variety of food trucks, and of course, Chicago’s finest craft beers. Beer loving Chicagoans are welcome to join the festivities on the 1800 Block of W. Belle Plaine from Ravenswood to the alley. Belle Plaine will be blocked off for bands, picnic tables, food trucks and games. This is a dog-friendly event, complete with a doggie-truck, so bring the pooches! Dovetail’s taproom also is dog-friendly every day.
You can sip on Dovetail’s Hefeweizen, a rich orange wheat beer, featuring the aroma of clove and fruit in perfect balance. This pleasantly lingering, foamy beer will be leaving the Dovetail rotation soon making room for the new fall Dunkelweizen, a dark wheat beer, so be sure to drink up while it’s still available.
Special for Oktoberfestiversary, Dovetail also will introduce a special new beer brewed for this event, Festbier, a strong lager. After the conclusion of the event, any remaining Festbier will be available in Dovetail’s taproom.
About Dovetail Beers:
Lager: A golden, malty, rich, creamy complex lager with aroma of malt and fresh hops. Easy to drink with a lingering pleasant after-taste and foam that stands like a cloud above the rim of the glass; lacing at every sip.
ABV 4.8% IBU 22 EBC 4-6 CO2 5.5 g/L (12psi @ 37°F) Glass Sahm Moldau
Hefeweizen: Easy to drink with a lingering, pleasant aftertaste. A rich, yolky-orange wheat beer, featuring the aroma of clove and fruit in perfect balance; refreshing on a warm day, with a hint of mandarin-orange-like acidity; huge effervescent head. Thick lasting foam that leaves an attractive lacing after every sip.
ABV 4.8% IBU 16 EBC 7-11 CO2 6.6 g/L (18psi @ 37°F) Glass Sahm Perlsee
Rauchbier: Dark with reddish tones and an off-white head with a rocky foam standing above the rim of the glass; as you bring it to your nose, you feel like you are eating a bar of chocolate in a smokehouse, full and rich with generous hopping to balance the flavor of beechwood smoked bacon.
ABV 5.3% IBU 30 EBC 50-60 CO2 5.5 g/L (12psi @ 37°F) Glass Sahm Willi
Rauchweizen Special Release! A smoked version of Hefeweizen. This is a smooth, dark beer tasting of clove and fruit, yet complexly layered with a hint of bacon from its oak-smoked malt. Not bitter, but a roasted sweetness with chocolate tones. Perfect for the autumn chill–get cozy and enjoy around an open fire.
ABV 5.1% IBU 16 EBC 90-110 CO2 6.6 g/L Glass Fluted Hefeweizen
Grodziskie Special Release! Cool and refreshing, this soft summer beer goes down nice and easy. Pale straw in color, with a spirited effervescence, Grodziskie is the specialty beer of its namesake town in Poland. More carbonated that Hefeweizen and lower in alcohol (3.8%), this 100% smoked wheat beer features light, citrus-like overtones with a surprising glimmer of spice and smoke. Perfect for a barbecue, relax and enjoy.
ABV 3.8% IBU 35 EBC 4-6 CO2 7.4 g/L Glass Fluted Hefeweizen
Begyle will be serving the following beers:
1. Blonde – Begyle Blonde is a well-balanced Blonde Ale brewed with local honey sourced from Heritage Prairie Farm in Elburn, Ill. It has a clean, faint bitterness and features a subtly sweet, fruity fermentation character accentuated by the honey. Begyle Blonde is one of Begyle’s most sessionable brews and pairs well with all foods.
2. First Shift – American Pale Wheat Ale – Begyle brewers’ ideal summer end of shift beer, this crushable pale wheat ale was dry hopped with Glacier and Mosiac, resulting in a bright citrusy, lemony aroma.
3. Free Bird – Free Bird is a 5.6% ABV American Pale Ale and one of the most versatile beers in their lineup. Showcasing Falconer’s Flight hops, this sessionable brew has aromas of citrus and fresh-cut flowers, leading into a well-balanced blend of lemony hop bitterness and clean malt character. No matter the time of year, Free Bird’s juicy, restrained hop profile and clean finish make it a go-to across the board.
4. J Bird – J-Bird is a single hop American Pale Ale showcasing Citra, a complex hybrid hop that imparts a strong tropical fruit character.
5. Crash Landed – Crash Landed is the first beer brewed at Begyle and continues to be one of their main flagships. This American Pale Wheat Ale exhibits assertive hop bitterness with hints of citrus and floral notes, backed by a slightly sweet malt profile and a firm body supplied by the wheat. At 7% ABV, Crash Landed packs a punch without being a palate wrecker.
6. Blackbird – Black IPA – The perfect balance of roasted malt and happiness upfront, earthy spiciness in the middle, and just enough bitterness at the finish.
7. Coffee Tough Guy – Coffee Tough Guy is Begyle’s American Brown Ale brewed with local coffee from Ipsento. Roasted coffee dominates the aroma, which leads into a nutty, caramelly malt profile accentuated by flavors of freshly brewed coffee. Though its flavors are pronounced, Coffee Tough Guy finishes clean and somewhat dry, making it very sessionable for the style.
8. Neighborly -Neighborly Nitro is Begyle’s Double Dry Stout that pours on nitrogen. This beer carries moderate flavors and aromas of roast and chocolate, backed by a very dry finish. Nitro elevates Neighborly’s mouthfeel, creating a soft, creamy body that perfectly complements its taste.
9. Bushel and a Peck – Honey Peach Saison – Just how much is a bushel and a peck? In this case, its 7.1% ABV. This dry farmhouse ale is fermented with traditional Saison yeast, and brewed with honey and peaches to give it a floral, fruity aroma–rustic and deceptively approachable.
10. Flannel PJ’s – -Flannel Pajamas is an Oatmeal Stout that drinks true to the style. Aromas of roast and cocoa are followed by a silky smooth body that carries hints of fudge, coffee and caramel. While Flannel Pajamas packs lots of flavor, its 5.2% ABV and roasty dry finish make it as sessionable as it is tasty.
If all that talk of beer is making you hungry, don’t worry. Four delicious food trucks will be attending Oktoberfestiversary: Bop Bar Truck from 11am – 8pm, Bruges Brothers from 1pm – 8pm, Chicago Pizza Boss from 2pm – 9pm, and La Cocinita from 1pm – 4pm.
Bop Bar Truck is a Glenview-based food truck that specializes in healthy, gourmet Korean cuisine. Famous for their charcoal grilled Korean barbecue, try savory specials such as the “Special Gal-Bi” or Korean beef short rib and the new grilled beef and spicy pork rice bowl.
Bruges Brothers food truck has been serving creative street fare on the streets of Chicago since 2014. Combining the freshest potatoes and best local ingredients, they craft original full-fledged meals in a cone with exciting flavors. The menu changes weekly, but the Beef and Duck Fat Frites always live up to their reputation and pair well with all of their hand-crafted Sauces. Keep an eye out for fresh, flavorful and cooked-to-order signature Entrees like the Braised Oxtail Poutine, Currywurst, and Comeback Fish and Chips.
Chicago Pizza Boss provides a one-of-a-kind experience with their ever-changing selection of wood fired and hand crafted pizza options, supreme ingredients and delicious Italian street food. Their traditional Neapolitan dough recipe uses high hydration with flour, water, yeast and salt and is proofed for over 48 hours. Start with a carefully curated appetizer, such as the Arancini, an orange-sized stuffed and deep fried arborio rice ball topped with red sauce, parmesan cheese, and fresh basil. Then bite into a classic slice of pizza, such as a sea salt and oregano finished Margherita pizza. You could also try one of the Rockstar Pizzas, which feature unique pizza combinations, such as the sweet and spicy Hell Fire’s Kiss: a classic base topped with Mastro Brand Imported Hot Sopressata, Wild Fire’s Hell Fire Chilli, and Roasted Garlic infused Honey. Other unique ingredient combinations include the Chorizo Lemon pizza, which is a classic base pizza topped with uncased chorizo and red onion, finished with fresh squeezed lemon. Finish off your meal with one of their scrumptious mini cannolis: tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough filled with a Whipped Ricotta, Sugar, and Chocolate Chips mixture and dipped in crushed Pistachios and powdered sugar.
La Cocinita, which means “The Little Kitchen,” serves contemporary Venezuelan-inspired Latin American street food. Pick up a traditional Mexican taco and tamale, or go with the less familiar Venezuelan menu items such as arepas, cornmeal patties stuffed with meat and cheese, and cachapas, fresh corn dough pancakes. This fresh, gourmet street food pairs wonderfully with Dovetail’s Rauchweizen and also will be featured on the food truck rotation outside the Dovetail taproom every Friday of October from 5:30pm – 9pm.
If you have any questions about this event, contact [email protected] Do not miss this fantastic fall day of drinking, eating, and celebrating two great local breweries!
About Dovetail Brewery
Dovetail Brewery, located at 1800 W. Belle Plaine in Chicago, Illinois, is a craft brewery owned by certified master brewers Hagen Dost and Bill Wesselink, specializing in delicious, balanced beers brewed using traditional German and Belgian brewing methods. Signature beers include unfiltered German-style lagers, traditional Hefeweizen, Rauchbier and Lambic-style sour beers. Dovetail Brewery also produces a variety of special seasonal beers.
At Dovetail, we pride ourselves on designing our beers for all the senses. This means that in addition to having great flavor, body, aroma and aftertaste, we also carefully choose the glassware and design our beers for a large, lasting foam-stand with beautiful lacing after every sip. We strongly recommend serving our beers in our glassware and using a flow control faucet in order to present the beer in its best form.
Taproom hours are: Tuesday, 2pm – 10pm; Wednesday, 2pm – 10pm; Thursday, 2pm – 10pm; Friday, 12pm – 11pm; Saturday, 11am – 11pm; Sunday, 10am – 8pm. Dovetail’s new Happy Hour Tuesday through Thursday from 2 – 6:30pm. The taproom is dog friendly.
The 22,000 square foot brewing facility includes an attractive tap room that is open to the public for drinking and retail sales. The tap room and other brewery areas are also available as a rental space for private events.
Dovetail Brewery delivers beer by the keg to venues near the brewery and also to some select venues closer to the Loop. All bars, taverns and restaurants in the greater Chicagoland area that wish to serve Dovetail beer on tap are welcome to contact the brewery at [email protected] or visit the taproom during normal business hours.
For more information about Dovetail Brewery, please visit the brewery’s website at http://dovetailbrewery.com (under construction), their newsroom at http://www.newsline360.com/dovetailbrewery or contact Bill Wesselink by email at [email protected] or Hagen Dost by email at [email protected] For additional information, call 773.683.1414.
Follow Dovetail Brewery on Twitter (https://twitter.com/dovetailbrewchi; @DovetailBrewChi)
Follow Dovetail Brewery on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/DovetailBrewery/)
Follow Dovetail Brewery on Instagram (https://www.instagram.com/dovetailbrewery/; @dovetailbrewery)