El Torito’s Carnitas Street Tacos of Los Angeles Selected as One of Five Iconic Restaurant Dishes That Inspired Lay’s Newest Flavor Icons Potato Chips
El Torito to Receive $25,000 Gratitude Fund from Lay’s as a Thank You for their Inspiration in the Kitchen and Ongoing Support of their Local Communities
About Lay’s Flavor Icons
El Torito is one of the five beloved American restaurants whose iconic menu items have been recreated by Lay’s in potato chip form as part of Lay’s Flavor Icons. The Carnitas Street Tacos from El Torito are now available as a Lay’s Wavy potato chip flavor.
To “return the flavor” and acknowledge the economic impact of COVID-19 on the restaurant industry, Lay’s has enacted a $25,000 Gratitude Fund for each of the Flavor Icons restaurants to put towards the various relief efforts that will help them recover from the impact of the pandemic.
About El Torito
When Larry Cano opened the first El Torito in 1954 in Los Angeles, he launched a Mexican Restaurant revolution. Legend has it that El Torito was seminal in popularizing Mexican restaurant staples like the frozen margarita, tableside guacamole, and sizzling fajita platters—as well as the best occasions and experiences to enjoy them, like Taco Tuesday and Cinco De Mayo. Over 60 years, El Torito has learned a lot about Mexican food, like how to honor tradition with dishes like the iconic Carnitas Street Taco.
Lay’s Flavor Icons Lineup
Available this month until supplies last, the limited-time-only Lay’s Flavor Icons portfolio includes five delicious new options:
- Lay’s Philly Cheesesteak, inspired by Geno’s Steaks in Philadelphia, Pa. (7.75 oz. – $3.79; 2.625 oz. – $1.89)
- Lay’s Wavy Carnitas Street Taco, inspired by El Torito in Los Angeles (7.5 oz. – $3.79; 2.625 oz. – $1.89)
- Lay’s Nashville Hot Chicken, inspired by Party Fowl in Nashville, Tenn. (7.75 oz. – $3.79; 2.625 oz. – $1.89)
- Lay’s Kettle Cooked New York Style Pizza, inspired by Grimaldi’s in New York City (8 oz. – $3.49; 2.5 oz. – $1.89)
- Lay’s Chile Relleno, inspired by Cocina Azul in Albuquerque, N.M. (7.75 oz. – $3.79; 2.625 oz. – $1.89)
Lay’s Flavor Icons Consumer Sweepstakes
Starting July 27, fans will have a chance to win some cash of their own.
Simply visit www.LaysFlavorIcons.com and enter the code from any marked bag (including other favorite Lay’s flavors) now through September 10 for a chance to win $1,000.
Frito-Lay Snacks Index
The new restaurant-inspired Lay’s may just offer the best of both worlds in the current environment – as according to the latest Frito-Lay Snack Index, one in three (34%) consumers are expecting to do more virtual hangouts with friends this summer.