El Lobo Mole Tamales
El Lobo Mole Tamales taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
3 T Butter
8 Chicken thighs
Garlic cloves, tomatoes, onions,oregano and bay leaves, salt and pepper – to taste
2 C Water – masa should be moist, not too runny
Salt – to taste
2 C Butter or olive oil
2 bundles Banana leaves
3 Large Potatoes – sliced
2 Red bell peppers – sliced
5 Large Jalapeno peppers – remove seeds
2 1/2 C Sesame seeds – roasted
20Guajillo dry peppers – roasted, seeds removed
35 Ancho peppers – roasted, seeds removed
1 C Raisins
5 Tomatoes – roasted
8 oz Pumpkin seeds – roasted
1 C Peanuts – roasted
1 Onion – chopped and roasted
4 Bananas – ripe
5 Garlic cloves- roasted
1 10-oz Box chocolate (Abuelita brand recommended) -to taste
Salt and pepper – to taste
5 Tortillas – toasted
5 qt Water
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt the butter and cook the chicken thighs until the meat is just cooked through.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the skillet and cool.
- Using forks, pull meat from the bones and shred.
- Marinate in seasonings.
- Masa (Dough)
- Combine all ingredients and mix by hand until masa is nice and smooth with a rich texture. You may add more oil or less, depending on preference. (The more you mix your masa, the more moist it will be).
- Steam banana leaves in water to soften before using.
- Cut banana leaves to about 10 inches, take one spoonful of masa and spread on banana leaf forming a circle that will be the base for all your toppings.
- Add a spoonful of marinated chicken on top of the masa, followed by a slice of potato, jalapeno, bell pepper, and spoonful of mole sauce.
- Next fold the banana leaf over and carefully stack tamales upright in a tamale steamer.
- Cover and steam for about one hour.
- Cool and then serve. Garnish with extra sauce and sesame seeds if desired.
- Mole Sauce
- Blend sesame seeds first, and then add other ingredients (except chocolate) to blend.
- Once everything is nice and smooth, put in a pot to slowly simmer, and add chocolate to taste.