Recipe for Arepa Sandwich by Chef Johanna Ware
2 lb Boneless short ribs
1 C Mexican coca cola
1/2 C Fish sauce
1/2 White onion – sliced
2 cloves Garlic – smashed
1 inch piece Ginger – sliced
1 Serrano chili – sliced
1/4 C Rice wine vinegar
2T Sesame oil
1/4 C Soy sauce
1t Ground chili
1/2 C Water
1 C Warm water
1/2 t Salt
1 C Arepa flour (PAM)
1/2 T Olive oil
Shredded short ribs
1/2 C Prepared cabbage kimchi
- Short Ribs:
- Grill or sear the short ribs on a high heat.
- After getting color on both sides, transfer to a shallow pot with all other ingredients.
- If liquid doesn’t cover 3/4 of meat add more water until it does.
- Simmer on very low, flipping every after 20 minutes.
- Cook until almost falling apart.
- Let cool in the liquid.
- Once warm enough to handle, shred meat.
- Arepa Dough:
- Mix 1st three ingredients together and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Add olive oil and form a soft dough with your hands.
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment until a 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a 3 inch circle to cut out circles.
- Place on parchment on a sheet tray.
- Cover with plastic wrap if you are making ahead.
- Heat shredded beef with a small amount of it’s braising liquid until it is warmed through.
- Heat a frying pan on medium heat and add a small layer of oil.
- Once warm add the arepa circles and gently fry.
- If you fry to hard they will get chewy, you want a light golden color on each side.
- Place on paper towels out of the pan.
- Spread hoisin and mayonnaise on the bottom of one circle.
- Top with beef, kimchi, and chopped cilantro.
- Place another arepa circle on top and enjoy.