Calling all chefs! Be a part of the rescue!
To get involved, contact Terri Henry at [email protected]
Food Finders, a Southern California nonprofit focused on food recovery is hosting its 4th annual Chefs to the Rescue fundraiser on Tuesday, October 1st from 6 – 9 pm at the Golden Sails Hotel located at 6285 E Pacific Coast Hwy in Long Beach. Food Finders celebrates 30 years of rescuing food this year.
This unique, food-centric event challenges prominent local chefs to create “Edible Extras”; tasting samples and small plates made from perfectly edible recovered or repurposed food that might otherwise end up being tossed away.
“We’ve seen some of the most amazing dishes at this event made using everything from potato peels to fish necks to pork belly,” said Patti Larson, executive director of Food Finders. “and while restaurants do a great job utilizing their inventory, we want to inspire people to do the same in their own kitchens and across the food industry in general. We also want to ensure that Food Finders can continue to serve its 400+ nonprofit partners that feed people in need, so this event supports that ongoing effort.”
Participating chefs to date:
- Chef Raquel Jubran – PigBurd, Long Beach
- Chef David Coleman – The Breakers, Long Beach
- Chef Genio Mostajo – Tortilla Jo’s, Downtown Disney, Anaheim
- Chef Alfonso Ramirez – Catal, Downtown Disney, Anaheim
- Chef “T” Visoth Ouk – Rising Phoenix Catering, Long Beach
- Chef AC Boral – RICE & SHINE, Long Beach
- Chef Rafael Franco – Kaiser Permanente Corporate
- Chef Walter Cotta – L’Opera Ristorante, Long Beach
- Chef Maralyn DiPiazza – DiPiazza, Long Beach
- Chef Pete Lehmar, Gladstone’s, Long Beach
- Chef Adrian Amosa, Gaucho Grill, Downey and West Covina
Tickets are $60 per guest and are available for advance purchase through the Food Finders WEBSITE. Tickets are limited and expected to sell out quickly.
About Food Finders
Food Finders, founded in 1989, works with local food vendors, grocery stores, restaurants, and caterers to distribute donated food to other nonprofit organizations that feed impoverished families, children and elderly. Today there are 13 staff and some 300 volunteers who help rescue millions of pounds of food each year. Food Finders’ mission is to eliminate hunger and food waste while improving nutrition in food-insecure communities. For more information, please contact Food Finders at 562.283.1400, x103 or visit online at www.foodfinders.org