Winners were announced Monday, May 7, 2018, at the James Beard Foundation Awards at Lyric Opera of Chicago.
During a ceremony emceed by Carla Hall, co-host of ABC’s The Chew, awards were presented in the Restaurant and Chef and Restaurant Design categories, as well as several special achievement awards, including Who’s Who of Food & Beverage in America, Lifetime Achievement, Design Icon, America’s Classics, and Humanitarian of the Year. A complete list of award winners can be found at the end of this release and at jamesbeard.org/awards.
Highlights from this year’s list of winners include:
· Best New Restaurant: JuneBaby, Seattle
· Outstanding Baker: Belinda Leong and Michel Suas, B. Patisserie, San Francisco
· Outstanding Chef: Gabrielle Hamilton, Prune, NYC
· Outstanding Pastry Chef: Dolester Miles, Highlands Bar & Grill, Birmingham, AL
· Outstanding Restaurant: Highlands Bar & Grill, Birmingham, AL
· Outstanding Restaurateur: Caroline Styne, The Lucques Group, Los Angeles (Lucques, a.o.c., Tavern, and others)
· Rising Star Chef: Camille Cogswell, Zahav, Philadelphia
Industry leaders from across the country attended the highly anticipated ceremony, whose theme this year was “Rise,” celebrating the collective spirit of the culinary community and the power of food. Attendees and participants donned vibrant pins stating what they rise for, from “equality” to “locally sourced food” to “no waste” and “integrity.”
Posted 5/15/18 by Matthew