Vanilla Bean Sweet Potatoes with Braised Pork Belly
Vanilla Bean Sweet Potatoes Braised Pork Belly taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
Vanilla Bean Sweet Potatoes
3 lbs Medium sweet potatoes – white flesh preferable
1/2 C Heavy cream
1/4 CWhole milk
3 T Unsalted butter
1/2 Vanilla bean – slit lengthwise – seeds scraped
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Braised Pork Belly Dry rub:
2 T Kosher Salt
2 T Brown Sugar
2 T Chile Flakes
2 T Garlic Powder
2 Garlic cloves – minced
3 lbs Fresh pork belly – skin removed
Extra-virgin olive oil
1 Onion – large slices
2 Ribs celery – large slices
2 Large Carrots – peeled and sliced
5 garlic cloves – smashed and finely chopped
Pinch Crushed red pepper flakes
1 C White wine
2 – 3 C Chicken stock
3 – 4 Bay leaves
- For vanilla bean sweet potatoes (can be made 2 days ahead): Wash and wrap each sweet potato in parchment paper and microwave until soft, approximately 7 minutes. Let cool slightly, then peel and transfer them to a food processor.In a small saucepan, melt the butter, then add the cream and milk.Scrape the vanilla bean seeds from the pod into the mixture then throw the pod into the cream mixture for steeping. Bring to a simmer. Remove the vanilla bean. With the processor on, carefully pour the vanilla cream into the sweet potatoes and process until smooth. Season the sweet potato puree with salt and pepper, transfer to a bowl and serve.
- For braised prok belly dry rub: Combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Massage the rub all over the pork belly, then cover and refrigerate for 24 hours
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove the belly from the refrigerator. Coat a large, deep pan – large enough to lay the pork belly flat and hold all the stock – with cooking spray.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add onion, celery, carrots and garlic. Cook the vegetables until they start to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes. Add the wine and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the 2 cups of the chicken stock.
- Pour the mixture over the pork belly and add the thyme and bay leaves. Cover with foil and put in the preheated oven. Braise the belly for 6 hours, checking occasionally. If the liquid level goes down add the remaining stock to cover the belly.
- When the belly is done it will be very tender and succulent. Remove the lid and pour out enough braising liquid to expose the top of the pork belly and set the oven to broil. Broil the pork belly until it turns golden, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and transfer the belly, from the braising liquid, to a cutting board. Cut the belly into 6 or 8 equal portions depending on your appetite.
- Arrange the pork on a serving platter and ladle the braising liquid on top.