The European Union funded campaign Flavor Your Life shares a recipe for Tuscan Cipollata prepared with pork, sausage, bacon, vegetables, and organic olive
18oz of pork ribs
1 stalk of celery
2 tbsp.organic olive oil
2oz of bacon
2oz of sausage
Garlic to taste
8 slices of stale bread
Salt and pepper
- First chop up the carrots and celery.
- Place the pork ribs, carrots, and celery in 6½ cups of water in a large pan.
- Bring the water to a boil and cook the ribs until the meat can easily come off the bone.
- Slice the onions and let them soak in water.
- Lightly fry the bacon and sausage in organic olive oil.
- When the bacon and sausage become browned add the onions and allow the meat and onion mixture to dry slightly.
- Add two ladles of the pork stock from the pork ribs to the mixture.
- Let it come to a boil and then simmer.
- You may need to add more stock.
- Lastly, remove the pork ribs from the remaining stock.
- Also remove the bone.
- Add the meat with remaining broth to the onion mixture.
- Serve in bowls over the stale bread slices.
- Try this recipe with Italian olive oil for the best tasting Tuscan Cipollata!