Tiato Rolls are a refreshing veggie treat.
1 Package firm tofu – cut into 3” x 1/2” batons
1/2 Zucchini – cut into 3” x 1/2” batons
1/2 Chinese eggplant – cut into 3” x 1/2” batons
1/2 Sweet potato – cut into 3” x 1/2” batons
16 Tia tô leaves (Vietnamese Perilla)
16 Thai basil leaves
4 sheets Rice paper
4 sheets Sesame soy wrappers
8 oz Sweet Cilantro Chili Sauce
Salt, pepper, sugar to sprinkle
CILANTRO CHILI SAUCE
2 T Garlic – minced
1 C Sugar
1 C Seasoned rice wine vinegar
1 T Red chilies – chopped
2 T Cilantro – chopped
1 t Fish sauce
1 t Fresh lime juice
- SAUCE PREPARATION
- Add garlic, rice vinegar, and sugar in a pot.
- Reduce the liquid until golden in color, or about 3/4
- C remains. Add cilantro, chopped chilies, lime juice
- and fish sauce.
- ROLL PREPARATION
- Fry all vegetables until light golden brown and
- tender. Marinate zucchini and eggplant with Cilantro
- Chili Sauce. Season sweet potato and tofu with salt,
- pepper and a pinch of sugar.
- TO ASSEMBLE
- Soak rice paper in warm water just enough to slightly
- soften. About 7 seconds. Place soaked rice paper
- flat on work surface. Place soy paper on center of
- rice paper. Proceed with a line of both herbs. Layer
- vegetables on top of the herbs. Wrap base of spring
- roll over veggies, and continue to roll to make a tight
- cylinder being careful not to wrap too tight as the
- wrapper will break.