Sweet Potato Bread
A quick and sweet bread
2 Sweet potato
1 3/4 C + 2 T All-purpose flour
1/2 T Baking soda
1/2 t Baking powder
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t Ginger
1/4 t Nutmeg
1/4 t Allspice
1/2 t Salt
1 1/4 C + 2 T Dark brown sugar
4 T Butter – room temperature
1/3 C Buttermilk
1/3 C All-purpose flour
1/4 C Light brown sugar
1/4 t Cinnamon
1 pinch Salt
1/4 C Pecan – chopped
1/4 C Butter – melted
- Wash sweet potatoes and wrap in aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 1 hour. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- When cool, peel and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice, and salt.
- Mix well.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle, cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add baked sweet potato and mix until combined.
- Add eggs one at a time.
- Take turns adding dry ingredients and buttermilk into egg mixture, mixing until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Prepare the streusel by combining all dry ingredients.
- Add melted butter, combining to create a crumbly texture.
- Top sweet potato batter with streusel.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1½ hours, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and cool for 20 minutes before serving.