Seven Layer Dip
This seven layer dip recipe is usually served in a clear dish so you can see the layers. For a crowd, double the recipe and serve in a glass baking dish.
4 large tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped fine
2 jalapeño chiles, seeded and minced
2 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh cilantro
6 scallions, 2 minced and 4 with green parts sliced thin (white parts discarded)
2 Tbsp. plus 2 teaspoons juice from 2 limes
¼ tsp. salt
1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained but not rinsed
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ tsp. chili powder
4 cups shredded pepper-Jack cheese
1 ½ cups sour cream
3 cups Chunky Guacamole (recipe below)
Tortilla chips for serving
For the Chunky Guacamole: 3 ripe, Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and cut in half
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
2 Tbsp. finely chopped onion
1 medium clove garlic , minced
1 small jalapeño chile , minced (1 to 1½ teaspoons)
½ tsp. ground cumin (optional)
2 Tbsp. lime juice
- Combine tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro, minced scallions, and 2 tablespoons lime juice in medium bowl.
- Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and let stand until tomatoes begin to soften, about 30 minutes.
- Strain mixture into bowl and discard liquid.
- Pulse black beans, garlic, remaining lime juice, chili powder, and remaining salt in food processor until mixture resembles chunky paste.
- Transfer to bowl and wipe out food processor.
- Pulse 2½ cups cheese and sour cream until smooth. Transfer to separate bowl.
- Spread bean mixture evenly over bottom of 8-inchsquare glass baking dish or 1-quart glass bowl.
- Spread sour cream mixture evenly over bean layer, and sprinkle evenly with remaining cheese.
- Spread guacamole over cheese and top with tomato mixture.
- Sprinkle with sliced scallions and serve with tortilla chips.
- (Dip can be refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
- Let dip stand at room temperature 1 hour before serving.)
- To Make the Chunky Guacamole: Halve one avocado, remove pit, and scoop into medium bowl.
- Mash lightly with cilantro, onion, garlic, jalapeño, ¼ teaspoon salt, and cumin (if using) with tines of a fork until just combined.
- Halve and pit remaining two avocados.
- Gently scoop out avocado into bowl with mashed avocado mixture.
- Sprinkle lime juice over diced avocado and mix entire contents of bowl lightly with fork until combined but still chunky.
- Adjust seasoning with salt to taste and serve.
- (Can be covered with plastic wrap, pressed directly onto surface of mixture, and refrigerated up to 1 day. Return guacamole to room temperature, removing plastic wrap just before serving).