Roasted Hatch Chile Mac N’ Cheese
Kick up your Mac n’ Cheese with this recipe from Melissa’s!
1 16-ounce box cavatappi or macaroni pasta
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
8 tablespoons unsalted butter (½ cup)
½ cup all-purpose flour
2 cups milk
1 cup crema or crème fraîche
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups preshredded cheddar-Jack cheese (about 8 ounces)
2 cups preshredded Gouda cheese (about 8 ounces)
1½ teaspoons smoked paprika, divided
Freshly ground white pepper
4 fresh Hatch Chile peppers, charred, peeled, stems and seeds removed, finely diced
¾ cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
- 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions; drain. Drizzle with about 1 tablespoon oil to keep pasta from sticking.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3. Coat insides of 6 (6×2-inch) foil loaf pans with cooking spray.
- 4. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat; whisk in flour until a smooth paste is formed, about 3 minutes. Whisk in milk, crema, and nutmeg until smooth; whisk in cheeses until completely melted. Whisk in 1 teaspoon paprika; whisk in salt and white pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- 5. Add pasta and Hatch Chile to cheese mixture; toss together. Pour evenly into prepared pans.
- 6. In a bowl, combine remaining 2 tablespoons oil, remaining ½ teaspoon paprika, and breadcrumbs; stir in salt to taste.
- 7. Sprinkle evenly over pasta mixture.
- 8. Bake at 350°F until bubbly and lightly browned, about 25 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes. Serve.