Rabbit Two Ways
Rabbit Two Ways – Great Taste Recipes from Chef David Coleman at Michael’s on Naples – Long Beach
Milk braised rabbit
2 whole Rabbits; legs, kidneys and livers – removed and reserved
4 T Canola oil
Salt & Pepper
1 large Onion – peeled and quartered
2 cloves Garlic – crushed
1/2 C Italian moscato – or a sweet white wine
1/2 gal Milk
3 oz Sage – tied
16 oz Carnaroli rice
1 qt Chicken stock, plus 1 1/2 C
I clove Garlic
1 C White wine
Salt & Pepper
1 C Grana cheese
1/4 C Parsley – chopped
For seared rabbit leg
4 Rabbit legs
Salt and pepper
2 T Canola oil
Livers and kidneys
2 heads Escarole – cleaned and cut in half
1/4 C Italian Moscato
1 T Unsalted butter
- Heat oven to 300 degrees.
- Cut rabbit into 3-4 manageable pieces.
- Heat braising pan to just before smoking.
- Add oil.
- Season rabbits with salt and pepper place in pan, brown lightly on all sides.
- Add onion and garlic, wait about 1 minute then deglaze pan with wine.
- Reduce wine by 3/4 volume, add milk and sage, and bring to a boil.
- Cover with foil, place in oven and cook until meat is falling off the bones about 4 hours.
- Cool in liquid.
- Strain liquid into separate pan and remove all rabbit meat and discard sage, onions and bones.
- Reduce braising liquid on low heat by at least half, skimming off curd.
- Stir constantly to not burn milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Combine all mcr_ingredients for stuffing.
- Using 4-inch tart pans with false bottoms, butter and lightly flour the inside.
- Fill pans half way with risotto leaving a well in the center and add stuffing.
- Cover firmly with rice and place in oven for 8 to 10 minutes until crispy on the outside; the center should be soft and hot through.
- Preheat oven 450 degrees.
- Debone rabbit leg removing the thighbone and leaving the leg bone attached.
- Tenderize the leg meat being careful not to tear meat.
- Season with salt, pepper and orange zest.
- Roll meat and truss once, leaving leg bone exposed.
- In a hot saute pan add oil; sear legs and place in oven.
- After about 8 minutes, remove legs from pan and drain oil. Place pan onto flame, add livers and kidneys to pan and quickly sear about 1 minute. Add escarole to pan, saute 1 more minute. Deglaze with 1/4 cup Moscato and reduce by 1/2. Remove from heat.
- Add butter, parsley, and squeeze of lemon.
- *Michael’s on Naples – Long Beach