Potatoes and Peas in a Fragrant Curry
Large chunks of potatoes and peas in a homemade curry
4-5 medium potatoes, boiled and cut in to large chunks
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp minced/grated ginger
1 Tbsp minced garlic
¼ cup oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
2 Tbsp ground coriander
1 Tbsp ground cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 Tbsp paprika
½ t garam masala ** (recipe below)
1 Tbsp mango powder
¼ cup lime juice
1 can (14.5oz) whole peeled tomatoes, pureed
6 cups water
¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a medium sized pot, heat oil till shimmering.
- Bloom cumin seeds, bay leaf, mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds.
- Quickly follow with diced onion, minced ginger and garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden brown.
- Add in tomatoes, ground coriander, ground cumin, chili powder, turmeric and paprika with a pinch of salt.
- Cook together until tomatoes are cooked through and oil is released.
- Stir in water and bring to a boil.
- Simmer together and let reduce slightly, until slightly thickened.
- Add in potatoes and peas and continue to simmer.
- Finish with mango powder and lime juice.
- Adjust seasoning and cook together for at least 15 minutes and let rest for a few minutes for sauce to thicken.
- Garnish with cilantro.