Pork and Chive Dumplings with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
Pork and Chive Dumplings with Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need by Chef Lee Anne Wong.
1 1/2 lb Ground pork
1 1/2 lb Garlic/Chinese chives, chopped 1/4" (3 mm) thick
1/4 C Ground fatback
1/4 C Low sodium soy sauce
1/4 C Shao xing rice wine
2 T Ginger, finely grated or minced
2 t Sugar
1 t Salt
60 Round dumpling skins
Chopped scallions for garnish
Soy Ginger Dipping Sauce
1/4 C Soy sauce
1/4 C Rice, black, or chinese red vinegar
1/2 C Water
1 T Granulated sugar
2 t Ginger root, finely julienned
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pork, garlic chives, fatback, soy sauce, shao xing, ginger, sugar, salt and white pepper. Mix the ingredients until the filling is well combined.
- Fill and form each dumpling with a 1/2 tablespoon of pork filling. Choose your cooking method from the choices below:
- Boiled: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the dumplings in small batches for 2-3 minutes. Drain, serve immediately with soy ginger dipping sauce.
- Steamed: Steam on greased parchment paper over a boiling water bath until the filling and dumpling skins are cooked through, about 4 minutes.
- Pan-fried: In a small container, mix 2 cups/475 milliliters of water and 2 tablespoons/12 grams of flour until the flour has dissolved into the water and the mixture is cloudy. Heat a small nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add a tablespoon/15 milliliters of vegetable oil to the pan and place the dumplings in the pan, lined up next to each other and cook until the bottoms turn golden brown, about 1-2 minutes. Add 1/2 cup/25 grams of flour/water mix to the pan; it will react with the hot pan and steam and splatter a bit so as soon as you add the flour/water mixture, cover the pan with a tight-fitted lid. Cook the dumplings covered until almost all of the water has evaporated and a thin golden crust begins to form in the bottom of the pan. Remove the lid and cook until all water has evaporated. Carefully removed the dumplings from the pan, serve immediately.
- Deep Fried: Preheat a large pot of deep fry oil to 350°F/175°C. Carefully drop the dumplings one by one into the hot oil, frying in small batches being sure not to overcrowd the oil. Cook the dumplings for 2 minutes, until the filling is cooked and the exterior is golden brown. Drain to a paper towel. Repeat with remaining dumplings until all are cooked, making sure the oil temperature returns to 350°F/176°C before frying the next batch. Serve immediately with dipping sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all the ingredients until the sugar dissolves. Refrigerate and allow to macerate for at least one hour.