Pickled Shrimp with Celery & Buttermilk
Recreate Chef Nina Compton’s refreshing Pickled Shrimp with Celery & Buttermilk, great for the hot summer days and a real crowd pleaser.
4 Celery stalk
1 Yellow onion
1 Fennel bulb
1 C White wine
1 gal Water
4 T Salt
1 qt Rice vinegar
1 Gulf shrimp head, U-10
1/2 C Mayonnaise
1 pt Buttermilk
2 t Dijon mustard
1 C Grana padana, or parmesan
25 g Red wine vinegar
15 g Worcestershire
5 g White pepper
11 g Salt
10 g Lemon juice
Remaining Ingredients to Complete the Dish
3 oz Trout roe
1 t Celery seed
4 oz Rice vinegar – used
4 oz Olive oil
Shrimp – reserved, cleaned
1 pt Buttermilk dressing
1 C Rye crouton – 1/4” diced
2 Avocado – 1” diced
1 Jalapeno – shaved thin, soaked in ice water
2 Radish – shaved thin, soaked in ice water
3 Celery stalk – peeled, 1/2” sliced
2 T Chili oil
Yellow celery leaf (saved from the celery hearts)
Sea salt flake (Jacobsen’s from Portland Oregon) – large
- Peel onions, wash celery and fennel, cut into 2-inch mirepoix.
- Add to large rondeau with water, add salt, mirepoix, wine and bring to simmer for 20 min.
- Add citrus, squeezing and dropping each half directly into the bouillon.
- Simmer and additional 10 to 20 minutes.
- Strain and return liquid to pot.
- Skewer shrimp with wooden dowels to keep straight while cooking.
- This will make them more uniform when cleaning and portioning.
- Poach shrimp until just cooked through 3-5 minutes.
- Check by removing head.
- Meat should be just slightly translucent in center.
- Shock in ice water and allow to fully chill, 5-10 minutes.
- Peel shrimp and marinade in rice vinegar for 30 minutes, fully submerged.
- Strain and save rice vinegar.
- Devein and portion shrimp cutting them in half lengthwise,
- removing vein and slicing into 3rds on a bias. 1.5oz per portion.
- Buttermilk Dressing
- Place all ingredients in vita mix, puree until smooth.
- Fold in aioli.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Remaining Ingredients to Complete the Dish
- Place buttermilk dressing on the bottom in an even layer of your favorite serving platter or individual serving bowls.
- Top with croutons.
- In a large mixing bowl add shrimp, celery, celery seeds and season with salt.
- Taste and add vinegar, olive oil and trout roe.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Place the dressed shrimp over the buttermilk and croutons, being sure to spoon all of the roe out of any leftover liquid and spoon over the top of the shrimp.
- Garnish with radish, jalapeno, celery leaf and flake salt.
- Drip the chili oil around the exposed rim of buttermilk dressing.