Contributed by: Coffee, Tea & Tulips (Closed) – Mission Viejo
Perfect Scones taste great. This flaky, tender delicate version of scones served at Coffee, Tea and Tulips are complemented by house made lemon curd and apricot jam imported from Lebanon.
2 1/2 C flour – sifted
1/4 C sugar
1 1/2 t baking powder
Pinch of salt
3 oz unsalted butter – cold, chopped or shredded
3-4 oz dried fruit – cranberry or currants are great
1 egg – beaten
2 oz 2% milk
6 oz half and half
- Preheat oven to 410
- Combine dry ingredients in large bowl, add butter and mash using a large fork or pastry blender. Add dried fruit and mix.
- Mix egg with dairy in separate bowl.
- Using a rubber spatula with one hand, gently move the dry ingredients and add the wet, being sure to gently mix any dry ingredients from the bottom of bowl. Fold sides in.
- When you are finished, which should not take long, there should be a little dairy left in the bowl. Using an ice cream scooper, scoop a portion of the dough and release onto either a parchment-lined sheet pan, or double sheet pans.
- Bake for 16 minutes then check. Adjust time as necessary to achieve a golden color.