Oven Barbequed Ancho Chicken and Salad
The warm heat from ancho chiles is balanced out with a cool California Avocado slaw in this summer recipe. Perfect for prepping in advance and grilling
For the Salad: 2 ripe Fresh California Avocados, peeled, seeded and diced
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup sour cream
1 serrano pepper, very finely diced, seeds optional
Kosher salt, to taste
Pepper, to taste
1/2 head green cabbage, thinly shredded
1 Ruby Red grapefruit, cut into supremes
For the Oven Barbequed Ancho Chicken: 2 Tbsp. ground ancho chile
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
3 tsp. sea salt
2 1/2 lbs. chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup agave
1 Tbsp. molasses
4 grinds fresh pepper
- To Make Salad: In a large bowl, place half of the diced avocado and mash well with a fork.
- Add lime juice, sour cream and serrano pepper and mix until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper, toss in the cabbage, grapefruit supremes and remaining avocado and toss gently to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1-2 hours. Taste and adjust seasoning before serving.
- To Make Oven Barbequed Ancho Chicken: A few hours or up to a day ahead, mix together the ancho powder, cumin, pepper and 2/3 of the sea salt and rub all over chicken pieces.
- Place seasoned chicken on a rack, uncovered in the refrigerator to air dry until ready to cook.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To create the glaze, add the vinegar, agave, molasses, pepper and remaining sea salt to a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce by half and then remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place seasoned chicken in pan and place in oven to roast.
- After about 10 minutes, brush chicken with the glaze and continue roasting for an additional 20-30 minutes, glazing and turning the pieces every 3-4 minutes until cooked through.
- Serve chicken immediately with Salad.