Italian Style Cassoulet
This Italian Style Cassoulet is the perfect stew for cooler winter days
1 Butter stick
1 1/2 C Red Onion – chopped
4 Garlic clove – minced
2 C Crimini Mushroom – chopped
1 qt Chicken Broth
1 16 oz Cannelinni Bean can – rinsed
2 16 oz Navy Bean can – rinsed
4 C Kale – chopped
4 Tomato – roasted, skinned & chopped
1 16 oz Can Diced Tomato in Olive Oil w/Garlic
2 T Oregano – fresh, minced
16 oz Chicken Sausage – ground, casings removed
1/4 C Romano Cheese – grated
1/4 C Whipping Cream
Sea Salt – to taste
Black Pepper – to taste
1 dash Red Pepper
- Melt butter in a large dutch oven, add onion, cook for 15 minutes over med-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and cook until browned, approx. 15 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Add broth, beans, and tomatoes and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Add kale and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add oregano.
- Pull sausage into bite-sized pieces and drop into cassoulet, cook approx 10 minutes.
- Finish cassoulet with cream, cheese, and seasoning to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook bacon until crisp, allow to drain on a towel and set aside.
- Serve cassoulet in bowls, top with bacon and garnish with romano cheese & fresh herbs.