Indigo Cornbread Fries
Using blue corn from the Johnsmans at Geechie Boy Mill, Lazy Dog has created a new fall favorite, a classic dish with a twist: housemade Indigo Cornbread Fries!
2 oz Butter – soft
2 oz Sugar
1 Egg – large
1/2 C Milk
1/2 t Sea salt
1 1/2 oz Blue cornmeal flour
2 oz Flour all-purpose
1 t Baking powder
1/4 C Corn kernel
- Whip butter + sugar together in a bowl with mixer until light in color + fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, mix eggs + milk together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flours, baking powder + salt together.
- Mix + whip: Add 1/3 of the flour mixture into the butter/sugar, add 1/2 of the egg/milk mixture (whip), add another 1/3 of flour mix (whip), add final 1/2 of egg/milk mix (whip). Finish with final 1/3 of flour mix + whip until combined.
- Fold in corn + pour into a greased 8” x 8” pan.
- Bake at 375°F for 7 minutes. Rotate + bake an additional 7-8 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from oven + allow to cool completely.
- Pop in the fridge.
- Unmold from pan and cut into “fries” that are about 3.5” long by 0.75” wide.
- Fry in 375°F oil for 30 seconds. Drain well + season with salt before serving. Enjoy!