Warm, filled with Gruyere and served with butter – they are a thousand times better than any can of Pillsbury biscuits.
4 C Milk – warmed
4 C Flour
1 1/2 T Salt
2 1/4 C Gruyère -grated
*can also be topped with caramelized onion and diced bacon
*requires a Popover Pan
- Place the popover pan in the oven.
- Heat the oven and pan to 350 degrees.
- Gently warm the milk over low heat and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs until frothy and slowly whisk in the milk (so as not to cook the eggs).
- Set the mixture aside.
- Sift the flour with the salt.
- Slowly add this dry mixture to the egg mixture and gently combine until mostly smooth.
- Once combined, remove the popover pan from the oven and spray with non-stick vegetable spray.
- While the batter is still slightly warm or room temperature (definitely not cool), fill each popover cup 3/4 full.
- Top each popover with approximately 2 1/2 T of the grated gruyere.
- Bake at 350˚ for 50 minutes, rotating pan half a turn after 15 minutes of baking, until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, remove from the pan and serve immediately.