Grilled Octopus with Roasted Potatoes
Chef David Coleman taste great. From dinner recipes, budget menus and healthy diet selections, you’ll easily find any recipe you need.
1 Whole octopus – 3.5 to 4lbs
1 Fennel – quartered
1 Onion – skinned and quartered
3 Celery rib
5 Cloves garlic – crushed
1 C Dry white wine
3 T Blended olive oil
MEYER LEMON CONFIT
4 lb Kosher salt to cover
1 C Water or lemon juice
12 Meyer lemons – scrubbed and halved crosswise
Roasted potatoes (a Baby Yukons is preferred)
- Pre heat oven 350 degrees.
- Soak and clean octopus thouroly, towel dry.
- Remove each tentacle at base of head. Quarter head. Remove beak and intestines.
- Bring a large pan with adequate surface area to smoking point. Add oil and turn off flame, then carefully place pieces of octopus into pan one at a time turn flame back on.
- Sear each side for 2 minutes then add all vegetables and continue on high for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off flame, add wine, cover and place in preheated oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove octopus from pan discard remaining vegetables. (Octopus will have released water and the braising liquid can be used for a soup base if desired). Chill octopus keep separately from liquid.
- MEYER LEMON CONFIT
- Pour about 1 inch of salt into a nonreactive container just large enough to contain the lemons and salt, a wide-mouthed glass jar with a lid is preferable. A container, in which your lemons fit neatly, without being jammed together, will require less salt.
- Place the lemons in the container, and then pour more salt to cover and drizzle over the cup of water. The lemon should be completely submerged and make sure there are no air pockets around the lemons.
- Cover and store in a Refrigerator or dry dark place 3 months. Once cured lemons will keep almost indefinitely in the salt.
- To use the confit, remove a lemon, from the salt and rinse off.
- Cut in half and scrape out the pulp and pith; discard them.
- Mince or slice the rind place in olive oil over night to season oil.
- Clean and blanch fava beans 30 seconds in salted water. Remove and place in ice water till cool.
- Place potatoes on tray and roast in 375-degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cool at room temperature and set aside.
- When cool to touch, cut into ¼-inch slices and set aside.
- Add all ingredients to mixing bowl and marinate for at least one hour before serving.