Chef Zach Geerson, of Citizen Kitchen, dishes up a delicious grilled octopus recipe.
Octopus Sous Vide
1 6-8 # Octopus
9 Medium Bay Leaves
1 Large Bunch Fresh Thyme
1 C Extra-Virgin olive oil
9 Ziploc bags
- Bring a pot of water or a Thermal Immersion Circulator to 185 degrees F.
- While waiting for the water to heat, cut each individual tentacle from the octopus and separate the head.
- Put one tentacle in each of the bags with a bay leaf, a small bunch of fresh thyme, and 2 T extravirgin
- olive oil.
- Once the water has come up to temperature place all the sealed bags of octopus into the water and submerge them with a plate.
- Cook them for about 2 1/2 – 3 hours depending on the thickness of the tentacles.
- Once the octopus is tender, (check by gently squeezing the tentacle and if it gives with a tender touch, then it’s ready) remove the bags from the hot water and place them directly into a bowl of ice to stop the cooking process and let cool completely.
- Remove from the bags and discard all the herbs and oil and place the octopus on a pan and get ready to grill.
- Preheat a grill and drizzle the octopus with olive oil, season liberally with kosher salt and ground black pepper.
- Grill over high heat approximately 2 minutes per side, until nicely charred on each side but not burned.