Green Beans with Smoked Bacon & Caramelized Shallots
An easy side dish featuring a common vegetable, green beans.
2 lb Haricots verts (thin green beans), trimmed, blanched, and dried well*
1/2 lb Applewood smoked bacon
3 Large shallots, quartered
2 T Olive oil
2 T Red wine or balsamic vinegar
Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Blanch green beans by filling a large bowl with ice and cold water leaving room for green beans. Bring a large saucepan full of water to a boil and add green beans and a good helping of salt.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, drain the beans and plunge them into the bowl of ice water.
- Let them cool, drain and dry well.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in skillet.
- Add olive oil to the pan with the bacon drippings then add the quartered shallots and sauté until browned.
- Add the vinegar, stir well, then add the green beans and toss until coated with oil.
- Cook for another minute then season with salt and pepper and toss with bacon, serve hot.