Contributed by: Mixologist Anthony Laborin
A cocktail bursting with flavors of the summer
2 pounds of cantaloupe or melon / cut into chunks
¾ cup granulated white cane sugar
½ ounce of lemon thyme
½ ounce of mint leaves bruised
¾ cups white wine vinegar
- Add cantaloupe chunks and sugar to a bowl, stir. Cover and leave to macerate on the counter for a few hours.
- In the interim, add mint and lemon thyme to the vinegar in a glass jar.
- After the cantaloupe has macerated, drain off the liquid and set aside.
- Discard the solids (or save them and make ice cream).
- Add the liquid to the mint and lemon thyme vinegar.
- Place the mixture in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Taste until you’re happy with the level of mint and lemon thyme.
- At that point, strain out the mint and lemon thyme and discard the solids.
- Your shrub is ready to drink. Enjoy on the rocks or make a fantastic cocktail!