Fried Brussels Sprouts
Cultivated in Belgium, Perfected in Laguna Beach
1 lb Brussels sprout – trimmed, cut in half
4 Chinese sausage (Lap cheong) – sliced thin on the diagonal
1 qt Canola oil
1 C Sweet and sour sauce (see recipe below)
Sprigs of cilantro for garnish
1 C Sweet and sour
1/2 C Rice wine vinegar
2 C Sugar
1/2 C Fish sauce
2 T Sriracha
- For the sauce:
- Mix all the ingredients together and set aside.
- Set the fryer at 350 Fahrenheit (or a deep pan, using a thermometer).
- Drop Brussels sprouts and Chinese sausage and fry for about 1 minute.
- Remove and blot the excess oil with paper towels.
- Toss while hot with the sweet and sour sauce
- Add cilantro leaves and serve.
- Chef’s note: This Brussels sprouts recipe can be sautéed for a healthier version but it won’t taste the same–frying gives a richer, more caramelized flavor.