Feijoada Black Bean Stew by Executive Chef Marco Colin, Agora Churrascaria, Irvine
Feijoada Black Bean Stew taste great. by Executive Chef Marco Colin, Agora Churrascaria, Irvine
FAROFA (needed for topping on Feijoada):
1 1/2 T oil
1/2 C finely chopped onions
2 oz smoked pork sausage, finely diced
3/4 C finely diced bacon
1 1/2 C toasted manioc flour
1/4 C finely chopped parsley
1/4 C finely chopped green onions
8 C dried black beans
3 lbs carne seca (Brazilian salted cured beef)
2 lbs sweet sausage (Portuguese chorizo)
2 lb baby back spareribs
2 bay leaves
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste
Steamed white rice
1 bunch collard greens, cleaned, thinly sliced and lightly sauteed in oil
- FAROFA (needed for topping on Feijoada):
- Heat the oil in a medium skillet and add the onion, sausage and bacon. Cook over medium heat until the onion is soft and the bacon and sausage turn golden brown. Should take 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and slowly add the toasted manioc flour, stirring until moistened before adding more. Stir in the parsley and green onions, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to add to finished bean stew. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
- FEIJOADA Assembly:
- The night before, soak the black beans in a large bowl, with water to cover at least 3-4 inches.
- Place the carne seca in a large bowl, as well, and add water to cover. Let stand overnight on kitchen counter.
- The next morning, drain the beans and place in a large stockpot with water to cover by at least 3 inches.
- Scrape away the wax, trim excess fat and cut the carne seca into 1-inch pieces. Cut the ribs into 2-rib sections, and cut the sausage into 1-inch sections.
- Add the carne sece, sausage, ribs and bay leaves to the beans. Simmer for about 1