Farro and Chestnut Stuffed Winter Squash
Chef Shachi Mehra created this delicious recipe utilizing the wonderful squash available.
3 Acorn, delicate or hubbard squash – halved and seeded **
4 t Olive oil
1/2 package Melissa’s® Pearl Onions – peeled
Salt To Taste
FARRO CHESTNUT STUFFING
1/4 C Canola oil
3 Green cardamom
1 Black cardamom
2 Bay leaves
2 t Cumin seeds
1 Small red onion – diced small
3 Celery stalks – diced small
2 T Garlic – minced
2 T Ginger – minced
1 Red Fresno chili – sliced thinly
1 1/2 C Mushrooms – diced
1/2 6.5 oz. package Melissa’s® peeled and steamed chestnuts – chopped roughly
2 C Baby kale – chopped roughly
2 C Cooked farro
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Rub each half of acorn squash with 1 t olive oil, and season with a pinch of salt. Toss peeled Pearl onions with olive oil.
- Place squash on baking sheet flesh side up and scatter pearl onions around the squash. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until easily pierced with a fork.
- While the squash is baking, make the filling. In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, heat oil over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves, black and green cardamom, and cumin seeds, stirring continuously until fragrant, about 25-30 seconds.
- Note they will crackle and sputter.
- Immediately follow with chopped garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant.
- Add diced onion, celery and red Fresno chili.
- Season with a pinch of salt.
- Continue to cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until onions begin to caramelize and turn golden brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in mushrooms and chestnuts and continue to sauté for another 5-7 minutes with another pinch of salt.
- When mushrooms start to caramelize, stir in cooked farro and thoroughly mix.
- Finish with kale and cook over medium heat until just wilted. Adjust seasoning if needed.
- When the squash is ready, scoop the flesh of one half and cut into medium chunks.
- Mix these roasted squash pieces and roasted pearl onions with the filling.
- Stuff the remaining half with the filling and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
- Note: the squash can be baked and filling made a day in advance – bake stuffed squash at 325 degrees until heated through.
- **Chefs Tip: Make it easier to cut a pumpkin, acorn squash or other winter squash: pierce in several places with a fork; microwave on High for 45 to 60 seconds. Use a large sharp knife to cut in half. Remove the seeds and stringy fibers with a spoon.