Duck & Sweet Plantain Lasagna Pastelon Recipe
Duck & Sweet Plantain Lasagna Pastelon
For the duck filling:
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Sofrito (ready made)
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
1 lb Maple Leaf Farms Ground Duck Meat
1/4 cup Yellow Onion, small dice
1/4 cup Red Bell Pepper, small dice
1/4 cup Green Bell Pepper, small dice
8 Green Olives, sliced
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
1/4 cup Tomato, peeled and seeded, small dice
1/2 tsp Sugar
1 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper, ground
1/2 tsp Cumin, ground
1/2 tsp Smoked Paprika
1 Tbsp Fresh Oregano, chopped
Roasted Sofrito Sauce:
1 lb Tomatoes cut in half, about 2 medium sized
4 cloves Garlic, sliced
2 oz Yellow Onion, large cut
1/4 lb Red Pepper, large cut
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Orange juice
2 tsp Lime juice
1 Tbsp Cilantro, chopped
1 cup Cilantro, rough chopped
2 Green Onions, green part
1/3 cup Olive Oil
Pinch Kosher Salt
6 metal ring molds 2″x 2 3/4″ are needed to make the individual portions
For the Pastelon layers:
2 Sweet Plantains, yellow turning black
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 1/2 cups Manchego cheese, grated
2 Eggs, beaten
- Duck Filling:
- In a preheated sauté pan over medium high heat, add the olive oil and sauté the sofrito for 1 minute to bring out its flavors. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Next add the ground duck meat to the pan and cook until the meat is half cooked. Then add the onions, peppers, and olives to the pan. Cook until the vegetables are tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, cumin and paprika. Lower the heat and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Add the oregano then set aside and let cool.
- Roasted Sofrito Sauce:
- On a sheet pan lined with aluminum foil, place the tomato halves with the skin side down in the center. Sprinkle the garlic over the tomatoes. In the middle, between the four halves, place the large cut onions. Lay the large cut peppers around the tomatoes.
- Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bring the corners of the aluminum foil towards the vegetables to form a kind of bowl to catch the juices.
- Roast in a 325 degree oven for 30 minutes.
- Pour into a blender and add the orange juice and lime juice. Purée on high until completely smooth. Add the cilantro and purée for another 5 seconds. Keep warm.
- Cilantro Oil:
- In a blender add the cilantro, green onions, and the olive oil. Purée to a semi-smooth consistency. Season with salt and set aside.
- Peel the plantain and cut into 1/8th of an inch circle slices. In a nonstick pan over medium heat, add 2 teaspoons olive oil. In batches sauté the plantains until lightly caramelized. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Set the ring molds on a parchment lined sheet tray. Spray the paper and the inside of the ring molds with non-stick spray. Divide the duck mixture into six piles about 1/3 of a cup for each portion.
- Start layering the molds with five plantains on the bottom in a circle pattern. Gently press down to create a sealed bottom. Next add a layer of meat and 2 teaspoons of beaten egg. Then add 1 ounce of grated Manchego cheese.
- Place another layer of plantains in a circle pattern followed again by the remainder of the 1/3 cup of duck mixture and then the 2 teaspoons egg followed by the 1 ounce of grated cheese.
- Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 15-20 minutes; cover each mold with aluminum foil. Once cooked through place the final layer of five hot plantains on the top for the presentation layer.
- Place a 1/4 cup of the roasted sofrito sauce in the center of the plate. Gently unmold the duck lasagna by running a thin sharp knife along the interior to make for easy unmolding. Place the unmolded duck lasagna in the center. Drizzle the cilantro oil around and garnish with cilantro leaves.