Chingudi Masala (Oriya Shrimp Curry)
¼ cup oil
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
2 Tbsp minced ginger
1 Tbsp minced serrano
6 tomatoes, diced
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp chili powder
2 Tbsp masala mix (see below)
1 lb shrimp – peeled and deveined
2 Tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
Lightly toast and grind:
2 Tbsp cumin seeds
5 ea green cardamom
2 ea cinnamon
5 ea red chili
- In a large saucepan, heat oil till shimmering.
- Stir in onions with a pinch of salt and cook over medium heat until soft.
- Stir in ginger, garlic and minced chili and cook until cooked through and raw smell disappears.
- Add in tomatoes, turmeric and chili powder.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until tomatoes are completely broken down and oil is released.
- Stir in Masala Mix.
- Heat through until fragrant.
- Stir in shrimp and cook over medium heat until cooked through and pink.
- Finish with cilantro.