At CAFE del REY, Executive Chef Chuck Abair takes an the unconventional approach to the staple pantry item by creating a Chickpea Cake.
7 cups Chickpea Flour
8 cups Vegetable Stock
2 TBSP Onion Powder
2 TBSP Garlic Powder 2
1 TBSP Ground Ginger
2 TBSP Five Spice
3 TBSP Ground Tumeric
1 TBSP Ground Coriander
1 tsp Salt
- Bring vegetable stock, onion powder, garlic powder, ginger, five spice, turmeric, and coriander to a boil.
- Add chick pea flour to boiling liquid and take off the heat.
- Purée mixture with a hand blender until smooth.
- Add water if mixture gets too thick.
- Pour mixture on to a parchment lined sheet tray.
- Let mixture cool then cut into small rectangles or fries.
- Add a small amount of olive oil to a pan to coat the surface.
- Bring the pan to medium-high heat and cook both sides of the chickpea cake until golden brown.