Chicken Tortilla Soup
Chef Richard Mead brings this warm and satisfying dish into the spotlight.
8 (6 inch) Corn tortillas, cut into strips
8 Cups chicken stock
2 Chicken breasts
1 Large sweet onion, diced
4 Garlic cloves, peeled and minced
2 Sprigs fresh oregano
2 Medium tomatoes, cored and diced
1 Chipotle Chile, minced and 2 tablespoons of the adobo sauce that it is packed in
1 Tbsp. Vegetable oil
1 Tsp. Chili powder
1 Tsp. Smoked paprika
3 Bay leaves
Salt and Pepper
Lime, cheddar cheese, avocado, cilantro leaves
- Coat the tortilla strips with some oil, salt and pepper. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 10 – 12 minutes until crunchy. Cool; set aside.
- In a stock pot, on medium heat, add oil until it begins to lightly smoke; add onions, garlic, smoked paprika and chili powder. Cook until onions turn translucent and very fragrant.
- Add tomatoes, chipotle chili and adobo to pot and cook for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, oregano and bay leaves. Bring to a rolling boil.
- Drop the soup down to a low simmer and add chicken breast.
- Cook chicken breast for 10 – 14 minutes, depending on size, and remove from the soup. Allow to cool and shred chicken.
- Keep soup on a simmer for about 30 minutes to allow all the flavors to meld. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove oregano and bay leaves before serving.
- To construct the soup, add shredded chicken on bottom of the bowl / add hot soup and garnish with tortilla strips and everything else to your liking.