Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese
Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese taste great. Chef Copley’s addition of diced caramelized butternut squash to an American classic makes this recipe perfect
5 T butter
5 T all purpose flour
5-7 C milk
7 oz fresh butternut squash puree* or 7 oz canned pumpkin puree
4 T Dijon mustard
4 T roasted garlic puree
5 oz sharp cheddar cheese, grated
5 oz Gruyere cheese, grated
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon truffle oil
Tabasco, to taste
Kosher salt and black pepper – to taste
Caramelized butternut squash
4 T olive oil
1 large butternut squash, peeled, seeded – 1/2 inch dice
1 cinnamon stick
4 T brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325
- In a medium saucepan over low heat melt the butter, whisk in the flour to make a paste and cook for 1 minute or until smooth.
- Add 3 cups of the milk and continuously stir, once the milk is absorbed add 2 more cups of milk and stir until it is lump free.
- Whisk in the butternut squash or pumpkin puree, mustard and garlic.
- Cook the mixture for 3 minutes on low heat continuously stirring; the mix should generously coat the back of a spoon (if the mixture seems to thick add a little more milk).
- Fold in the cheddar and Gruyere cheese; add the paprika, truffle oil, Tabasco and season to taste.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- To make squash puree, cut in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds and strings and roast in 350