Brussel Sprout, Apple, and Sausage Rice Stuffing
This rice stuffing is a great alternative to the classic stuffing, especially if you have gluten-sensitive family members, and each bite tastes just like the holidays!
1 lb Pork Breakfast Sausage or Sausage of Choice
1/2 C Celery – diced
1/2 C Onion – diced
2 Garlic Clove – finely minced
1/2 C Fennel – diced
1/2 C Apple – diced
1 t Rosemary – fresh, chopped
1 t Sage – fresh, chopped
1 t Thyme – fresh, chopped
1 T Kosher Salt
1/2 t Black Pepper
1 T Avocado Oil
1 T Butter
4 C Wild Rice – cooked
2 C Brussel Sprout – stems removed and cut in half
- Add sausage to a large skillet and cook until browned. Remove from the skillet and drain any excess grease on a paper towel lined plate.
- Add oil and butter to the skillet and place Brussel sprouts cut side down and let sear for 2 minutes without touching. Season with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Once the cut side is browned, sauté for another 2 minutes until Brussels are bright green but still have some bite. Remove them from the skillet.
- Add celery, onion, garlic, fennel and apple to the skillet and season with 1/2 Tbsp. of salt and 1/4 Tsp. black pepper and sauté until the veggies become tender, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in fresh herbs and sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add sausage back into the skillet and along with the cooked wild rice and cooked brussel sprouts.
- Season with the rest of the salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Cook another 2-3 minutes until flavors have combined well and serve immediately.
- *Note: You can also stuff the turkey with this stuffing.